Sunday, October 10, 2010

Found It - a little

I was just thinking about our family's regular morning routine, and I think this is one place where I found my groove.  I'm not writing this for any other reason than to celebrate the small things that make life work.  If I may say so, I think that we have a pretty good thing going in the mornings.  Everyone does what they need to do, when they need to do it, and most mornings, we are even ready a few minutes early.  But if one thing just doesn't go right - just one person not holding up their end of things, it doesn't work too well.  It's interesting that there's such a fine line sometimes between finding it and losing it!

One of the things I like best about our mornings is that I'm NOT the first one up!  I hate getting out of bed, and being the first one out of bed just makes it that much worse.  So, hubby gets up first while I grab a couple more zzzz's.  And then the well oiled morning machine in the Holloway house really gets going.  Most mornings I even get my tea made for me.  There are things that we have thrown out from the regular morning routine - I don't cook (Ha - I barely even cook at supper time, no way that's gonna happen when I'm not fully awake yet!), lunches are packed the night before if they are needed, backpacks are loaded the previous evening, and instruments are ready to go.  This is the first year of band in our house, and I gotta say, I'm not real fond of the 7 am start time two days a week.  But in the end, the morning routine has adjusted to that early start, and I'm shocked most band mornings that my family, none of us being morning people, are all ready on time.

And maybe that's what makes me feel so good about my "finding it" - the fact that if given a choice, all of us would stay in bed until we woke up naturally sometime between 8 and 10 am.  We are not a family of morning people, and we all love to sleep in.  So the fact that we work so well together in the morning and don't really struggle to stay on time is a major accomplishment.  So yeah for team Holloway! 

No comments:

Post a Comment