Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Menu planning....

We are staying home for Christmas this year.  For the first time ever, my children will wake up in their own beds on Christmas morning.  This is only the second time in my whole life that I have not been at my parents' home on Christmas Day.  To say it will be different is an understatement.  While we will miss my parents and my brother and his family this year, it will be a chance for our family to be together in a very meaningful way. 

So the downside, or maybe I should say the scary part, is that we have to eat.  And because it is a special day, a holiday, we feel like we should celebrate and eat well.  This means I'm cooking.  I generally don't really like to cook.  Most of the time, I don't see the cost/benefit tradeoff leaning in favor of cooking.  Especially when I am working and taking classes.  But this is the rare time of year when I am on vacation, and I'm out of class for the semester. 

My husband and I planned the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day menus last night.  We chose things that a) we like to eat, b) don't get to eat very often, and c) that I'm relatively confident I can make.  Since point c. narrows the list of options considerably, it wasn't too hard to plan 6 meals.  Then we had to come up with a grocery list, and go to the store.  Check, and check.  I'm going to start cooking tomorrow, as there are several things on my list that can be made ahead and I really don't want to spend all of Christams Eve and Christmas Day cooking.  In addition, I got a nice promise from my husband that he's going to be cooking with me, and will continue to help through the clean-up process.  I have to say that I don't mind cooking as much when I have someone to share the WHOLE process with......I will post again with results.

But altogether, I am feeling very with it this Christmas season.  I got cards out (and early) thanks to a Creative Memories consultant/friend who really wanted to help me out this year.  I did much of my shopping online starting on Thanksgiving Day.  I went on an overnight shopping trip with two dear friends that was both very fun and helped me out A LOT, and I've had some time this week to get my last minute things done.  I don't feel this way every year, but for now, I'm savoring the moments of having "it" together!

P.S.  My husband thinks he smells something funny again.  I've already checked the dryer vent which was (thankfully) clear.  I'll let you know if the smell turns into something....

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to add my dear hubby's comment about my cooking. I say rather often that "I can't cook." I said that very thing in the midst of this cooking exravaganza, and he said, "You know, you say that alot. But it's not true. You CAN cook, and when you do, you are a good cook. You just usually CHOOSE NOT TO. Those are very different things." Gotta love that man.

    ReplyDelete